Call us at (416) 649-4660

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

Can your Ex make you buy separate clothes and jackets for your kids on top of paying child support. My support is ran through MEP and they are very difficult to contact and change if and when you try to prove an over payment or to dispute a claim.

February 11, 2021

1.45K viewsChild Support

You indicate that your support is enforced through “MEP”, which we understand to be the Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Program (which is the approximate equivalent to Ontario’s Family Responsibility Office, or “FRO”).   Both of those provincial government organizations are responsible for collecting court-ordered child support, and distributing it to the recipient parent.

The precise scope and details of your obligation to pay child support are documented in your particular court order that has been registered with MEP.  That order has been customized to your situation, and will set out the specifics around whether you do (or do not) have a duty to supply your children with separate clothing and jackets on top of paying child support.

If such an obligation does not appear in the terms of the order governing your and your Ex’s situation, then – without knowing more of your details – it is very unlikely that you can have it unilaterally imposed on you now.  However, you should seek the advice of a local Family Lawyer who will look at the terms of your order, and can confirm the precise extent of your financial obligations in this regard.

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation