Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

Does child support continue after 18 when a child is still in high school obtaining university level credits to apply to university for the following school year? What is considered full time in high school?

December 15, 2020

2.51K viewsCustody and Access

Yes, child support can continue after the age of 18 for a number of reasons (although it will depend on the circumstances).  In fact, child support can continue into the university or college years, for example where the now-adult child is working towards getting a degree – and in some rare cases, even two degrees.

Under Ontario law, the test is not that the child is “full time in high school”;  rather, he or she must be “enrolled in a full-time program of education”.   If your child qualifies, you and the other parent may be obliged to cover some or all of his or her tuition, living expenses, and even special or one-time expenses that relate to the program.

In your case, if the child is over 18 but is still enrolled in a full-time program and accumulating university credits, this will likely meet the test. However, you should obtain the tailored advice of a Family Lawyer who can review your situation in greater detail.


Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation