Call us at 1-888-978-1178

We are expanding to Ottawa! Click here to learn more.

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

I recently inherited from my mom a large sum of money, and 3 months later my wife asked for separation. Saying years of mental abuse and wants to separate. She also has a new guy friend (family friend… ) that she is spending great deal of time with, with me being allowed to be there at same time. Does she have rights to the money? Can I give the money back to my mom or family member? What happens to that money if we file for separation or divorce, is she entitled to my inheritance?

September 28, 2021

2.20K viewsSeparation Agreements

No, your wife is not entitled to any inheritance you have received directly from your mom during your marriage.  Under the Ontario Family Law Act, certain things will be automatically excluded from your list of assets that are subject to division and equalization, if you and your wife divorce.  Inheritances received during marriage are among them, and its value is calculated as of the date of separation.  You don’t need to go to the trouble of returning the inheritance or transferring to another family member (under a trust, for example).

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation