Call us at (416) 649-4660

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

I would like to know if you are married but planning on a divorce, and just bought a home but the mortgage and the title deed are in both your husband’s name, are you still entitled to receive half as you are married ? Thank you.

June 17, 2021

1.00K viewsProperty Division
Changed status to publish

The good news is this:  Simply because your husband is the only one registered on title to your matrimonial home does not mean you do not get the benefit of its present-day value. Under the Ontario Family Law Act, the matrimonial home has a special status, and its value on the date you and your husband separate will go into a larger calculation of your Net Family Property, which is part of the process for dividing up your finances in preparation for your divorce.  The home’s value is divided equally, even though your husband is the only one on title; the mortgage also gets factored in equally.   However, there can be other circumstances that affect your overall entitlement as you leave the marriage.  You should get the advice of an experienced Family Lawyer who can help you navigate this issue in your upcoming separation and divorce process.

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation