Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

There is an order to provide CRA with a copy of our agreement giving notice of father’s entitlement. He has not, and Ontario and Canada child benefit has denied claim, stating the father is not primary care parent although all documentation was provided. Mother was to amend birth registration and refuses, not sure if this is why Child Benefit is being denied despite the court order and documentation supporting claim by school and doctor. Should a contempt order be used.

July 30, 2021

1.74K viewsLegal Process
Changed status to publish

It is a basic legal principle that “court orders are meant to be followed.” You indicate that there is a court order in place, and that it is has not been adhered to. Even worse, there has been a negative impact on your child’s entitlement to various provincial and federal benefits, because of it.

In this situation, it may be possible to pursue a court order for contempt, but there are certain legal tests that must first be met. Specifically, for civil contempt to be established it must be shown that: (a) the order alleged to have been breached states clearly and unequivocally what should and should not have been done; (b) the party alleged to have breached the order had actual knowledge of it; and (c) the party allegedly in breach intentionally did the act the order prohibits, or else intentionally failed to do the act the order compels.

From the facts as described, it is difficult to determine whether these threshold elements can all be established. You should speak with a lawyer who can assist you with making that determination.

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation