Call us at (416) 649-4660

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

Is my adult child eligible for support?

July 25, 2019

Solved3.45K viewsChild Support

My 18 year old, soon to be 19, has not graduated high school yet. She chooses to not attend. She is doing one course now and is working full time. Is she still eligible for support?

Question is closed for new answers.

In a typical scenario, the parents’ responsibility to support a child ends at the age of 18, when the child has reached the age of majority. However under Ontario law there are some exceptions, such as where the child has special needs.

Another exception can arise if the now-adult child continues to pursue higher education past the age of 18 — provided the child is still enrolled full-time in a post-secondary education program and is considered “dependent”.

In the described question, the child would not meet that threshold test, since she is taking only one course in high school, and not the required full course load relating to the pursuit of her higher education.

However, even if she were enrolled in a higher education course and attending full-time, her entitlement to support would not be automatic; it would depend on numerous factors including the child’s age, academic aptitude, goals and overall best interests. It would also depend on your situation as her parents, including your respective financial circumstances.

The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation