Call us at 1-888-978-1178

We are expanding to Ottawa! Click here to learn more.

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

My child did not attend post secondary education immediately after completing highschool. He was 18 when graduated. Now he’s 20. Do I still have to pay child support if he returns to school now, full time or part time? I was told there couldn’t be a break in school attendance. He should have started post schooling right after high school. Is this right? I haven’t spoken to my son since he was 13. The mother prevents all contacts. Asking for help. Thank you.

April 5, 2021

3.74K viewsChild Support
Changed status to publish

In these circumstances, it’s unlikely that a court would order you to pay child support after a 2-year break in your now-adult child’s education.   There are several legal principles here.  First of all, it’s not a firm rule that your adult child must complete his or her academic program in the shortest time possible, in order to be eligible for support.  A brief pause in what is otherwise a linear education path will not disqualify him or her.  However, for situations where there has been a longer pause, the Ontario courts have developed a set of questions to determine whether an adult child’s entitlement to support can be revived after a break.  See the decision in Aubert v. Cipriani, 2015 ONSC 6103 (CanLII) at para. 28  where some of the guiding factors are set out.


Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation