Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

When can a child make a decision to live with a parent?

July 25, 2019

Solved4.55K viewsCustody and Access

When can a child make a decision to live with a parent?

Question is closed for new answers.

Under Canadian law, there is no fixed age at which a child is legally entitled to choose which parent he or she prefers to live with, after they separate and divorce. If a custody dispute arises and the court is asked to make a ruling on this point, the court will always do so after taking the best interests of the child into account, regardless of the child’s age.

With that said, one of the many factors that a court must look at to make that “best interests” determination, is the age of the child, and whether he or she expresses a stated preference to live with one parent or the other. For example — and provided those best interests are still safeguarded — a court may defer to an older teenager’s stated choice when making its custody ruling. This is even more likely if there are practical considerations at play, e.g. the court is unlikely to make a ruling that is contrary to the teen’s steadfast wishes, if it will be challenging for the parents to enforce the ruling by making the teen live where he or she does not want to.

The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation