Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

What happens if I don’t have a prenup?

July 25, 2019

Solved4.65K viewsPrenuptial Agreements

What happens if I don’t have a prenup?

Question is closed for new answers.

A prenup (which is short for “prenuptial contract”) is simply a marriage contract documenting the negotiated agreement between you and your soon-to-be spouse. It covers how you and your spouse have agreed to address and allocate various rights and duties you may have against each other, if you happen to split up in the future. It can cover important topics such as spousal support, and how you agree to have your assets divided.

If you do not have a prenup, then those rights and duties are governed by federal and provincial Family legislation – automatically. Whether or not you like or agree with the outcome, the law will apply in a straightforward manner with no opportunity to circumvent it.

Needless to say, creating a prenup is a good idea. On the front-end of your relationship, it forces you to give early, focused thought to how you want to deal with your assets and family-related rights. And if you and your spouse do part ways, it allows you to customize or even avoid undesired outcomes that might otherwise arise under the legislation.

The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation