Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

If I file for a contempt order, how do I relate to the judges what I need to protect my son’s and my right to a parenting order?

August 11, 2021

1.75K viewsCustody and Access

As the courts themselves have repeatedly emphasized:  Court orders are intended to be complied with.  A contempt order is one of the mechanisms by which you can ensure that any prior order that you have obtained against your Ex are followed and enforced.  It formally paves the way for you to be able to take advantage of various enforcement mechanisms and penalties.

As part of your application for a contempt order against your Ex (whether it relates to a prior parenting order or otherwise), you will have to file materials with the court.  These will include:  1) a copy of the original order; 2) an explanation of how your Ex fell short of meeting his or her obligations under that prior order; and 3) the specific remedies that you would like a court to grant you in light of your Ex’s contempt.  It is at this stage that you can relate to the judge, in writing, those specifics details of what you need, in order to protect your own and your son’s rights.

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation