Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

If I marry, will that affect my CPP and OAS benefits?

June 28, 2021

2.19K viewsPrenuptial Agreements
Changed status to publish

 Yes, Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits, and Old Age Security (OAS) benefits can potentially get impacted by your intended marriage; among other things you may be able to qualify for additional benefits.

First, if you are married or common law and are in an ongoing relationship, you may voluntarily share your CPP retirement pensions.  Also, the CPP incorporates a Survivor’s Pension which is paid to the person who, at the time of the CPP contributor’s death, is the legal spouse or common-law partner of the deceased.  So this means that if you get married, both you and your spouse could qualify each other for this potential added benefit.

Similarly, there are certain benefits related to OAS that could become available to you if you get married.  For example, if you are already eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (because your income is below the stipulated thresholds), then if you get married your spouse or common-law partner may be able to receive an added Allowance, provided your combined annual income is below the maximum annual income threshold for that benefit.

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation