Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

Is it my daughter’s right to have proof of address/hotel of where her Ex is taking their 3-year-old son every other weekend before pick up?

September 28, 2021

1.55K viewsChild Custody

Generally speaking, No – at least not without an agreement or court order, clearly stating that your daughter has the right to specific level of detail.

Under Canadian law, each separated and divorced parent has a general right to know where their children are when the other parent is exercising parenting time.   However, this does not mean that the other parent must hand over an itinerary, or must scrupulously account for their time or activities, or invite consultation.   The prevailing philosophy is that the parent who exercises parenting time is entitled to make all the usual and necessary parenting decisions during that period, as is appropriate to attend to the child’s well-being.

That said, it is always good practice for both parents to cooperate with each other; for example by advising if the child is going to be left with babysitters or friends when the parent is not there.  The level of communication may also vary according to the age, needs and best interests of the child.

Changed status to publish
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation