Call us at 1-888-978-1178

Close Button

We Are Here To Help

Schedule your consultation below.

My ex was ordered to pay spousal support in another country. Can I still get support in Ontario?

February 28, 2020

3.64K viewsSpousal Support

No. In this scenario, if you are already receiving support under a prior order made in another jurisdiction, then you cannot also obtain spousal support from an Ontario court.

The Ontario court only has jurisdiction to make spousal support orders to those who have been granted a divorce under the Canadian Divorce Act, or to those who are still “spouses” or common-law partners as those terms are defined by the provincial Family Law Act. The existence of a foreign divorce does not endow an Ontario court with the jurisdiction to make an additional spousal support order in your favour.

The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.
Book A Consultation