Can Grandparents Get Custody

Thanks for rating this article:

0 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 5 0 Vote(s)

Can Grandparents Get Custody?

In the vast majority of situations involving separation and divorce, custody of any children of the marriage will go to one or both of the parents.  But what about non-parents?  Can a person such as a grandparent or an extended family member obtain custody instead?

In the right circumstances, a custody application by a non-parent can be launched pursuant to the provisions of the Children’s Law Reform Act, which sets out the detailed requirements in connection with this kind of application.

The necessary information and documentation includes a police Record Check, as well as reports from every Children’s Aid Society for the areas in which the person who is making the application has lived.  Those reports indicate whether he or she has had prior involvement with CAS; if so, the information is naturally shared with the court hearing the application, and with the child’s parents and other interested parties.

- Article Continued Below -


To Our Newsletter

Court staff will also search across all Ontario court record to determine whether the non-parent application has been involved in any previous family law cases; a judge may also direct that searches of the criminal law cases be undertaken as well.

As compared to custody granted to parents, custody applications by non-parents are relatively uncommon, but when they do occur they are subject to strict requirements.  Shulman Law Firm is a Toronto-area firm of experienced Family Lawyers who can provide practical advice and effective representation in connection with these types of proceedings. Contact us to set up a consultation.

Please rate this article:

0 Vote(s)
The materials contained in this website are intended to provide general information and comment only and should not be relied or construed as legal advice or opinion. While we endeavor to keep the information on this web site as up to date, accurate and complete as reasonably possible, we do not warrant the completeness, timeliness or accuracy of anything contained in this web site. The application and impact of laws can vary widely, based on the specific facts involved. For any particular fact situation, we urge you to consult an experienced lawyer with any specific legal questions you may have. Your use of this website doe not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship. Should you wish to retain our firm, kindly contact our office to set up a meeting with a lawyer.